Cloud Radar Report: Linux vs. Windows on AWS Cloud

Cloud Radar Report: Linux vs. Windows on AWS Cloud

We present this new Cloud Radar report benchmarking the operating systems in use by a sample of  Newvem AWS users on October 22nd, 2012. . We analyzed a sample of more than 40,000 AWS EC2 instances.

ELB - quotes Linux is still twice as popular as Windows on AWS, despite the fact that Windows instances are much more expensive than Linux, users  are willing to pay a premium for running Windows on the Amazon cloud.” Ilan Naslavsky CTO & Co-Founder, Newvem.

Results and key conclusions from the data:

AWS Instances Type Distribution

Diagram A: AWS Instances Type Distribution

Linux EC2 instances are more popular than Windows EC2 instances - 

67% of the instances that we sampled were Linux, the remaining 33% were Windows – Linux is twice as popular as Windows.

Spending by AWS instance type

Diagram B: Spending by AWS instance type

 Linux runs on the more expensive EC2 instances -

Considering that Linux instances are cheaper than their Windows equivalent, we see that users are choosing to run Linux on the more expensive instances. As the price increases for more powerful instances, users increase the likelihood of running Linux on those instances.


[Newvem analytics tracks and presents your daily EC2 cost transactions and forecasts your EC2 future spend based on your usage patterns. In analyzing EC2 usage patterns, Newvem also recommends how to improve (re-sizing) resource usage and alternative EC2 pricing plans, such as reserved EC2 instances. Create Your Free Account or Learn More]


About the Author

Cameron Peron is VP Marketing at Newvem.  Prior to this, he led the go to market strategy and execution behind several successful startups, including BIScience and Matomy Media. Contact him:cameron@newvem.com or @cameronperon

Keywords: Amazon web services, Amazon AWS instances, EC2 Service, Amazon cloud computing, AWS cloud cost savings, Cloud cost efficient, Amazon EC2 capacity, Operation Systems, Benchmarks

You must be to post a comment.

* As a bonus, you'll receive our weekly newsletter!

Hitchhiker's Guide to The Cloud

Newvem's eBook for Cloud Operations